It’s the second day of summer and the heat is on–even here in San Francisco! A great and easy way to cool our jets is to incorporate some yummy summer foods into our diet. Watermelon gazpacho is an ideal summer meal giving you an instant cool down while rehydrating your system and tastes awesome. Watermelon by nature is sweet and cooling. It has properties that release summer heat, influences the heart, bladder and stomach and can ease urinary difficulty, edema, and canker sores. Feel free to add energizing spices if the heat has you feeling sluggish. A pinch of cayenne pepper can add energy boost and some freshly grated ginger can help with any digestive issues the heat may have brought on. Here ya go!
- 1 large tomato, pureed
- 1/2 serrano chile
- 2 cups cubed fresh watermelon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill (or basil), plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch ground cumin
Whirl together tomato, chile, half of the watermelon and cucumber. Add onion, vinegar, oil–whirl again. Add rest of watermelon and herbs. Enjoy!!